Welcome everyone to the new site that is http://thisweekingeek.net
Lots of things have been improved with the site. Same great content, same geeks, just upgraded!
Here’s what we did:
- Moved from drupal to WordPress – Drupal was fantastic for us at TWiG, we got a lot done with the engine that we had, but we knew we needed a change with more flexibility, and for us hands down that was wordpress. So for the past week and a half, I have been toiling over moving everything from drupal to wordpress, and let me tell you, it was hard work, but I’m glad for the change. That means more new features to come!
- Blogs – If you are a long time listener of TWiG you will know that Mike and I have had our own TWiG Blogs, According to Snowball, and Birdman’s Boombox. Well now we’ve opened up the floodgates to our TWiG crew, and now everyone has a blog! Pierce, Dave, Stefan, and AJ all have blogs that they are going to contribute content for, and I hope you will enjoy them.
- Comments – You can comment on all posts here on TWiG! It’s about time!
- Facebook Connect – The coolest feature that I salivate over, here on the site, is Facebook Connect. What that does is if you want to leave a comment on TWiG, all you have to do is log in with your Facebook profile, (don’t worry it’s completely secure), and you can comment away! Plus, what’s cool about it is that you can join the TWiG community and we can send ya some cool stuff, just for taking part, and we can do that with Facebook Connect.
- Twitter – Okay, so this isn’t completely new, we did have a twitter account before, but we never really put a lot of effort to promoting it. So we thought we would give that a huge push and say if you are on Twitter, you can follow us at http://twitter.com/thisweekingeek. Plus if you go to the about link at the top right corner of the page you will see a drop down menu when you hover over the link and if you click on any of the bio pages for TWiG, all of us have a twitter account so you can follow us there.
- Podpress – This is really geeky for those of us who have been podcasting and using wordpress, because you know exactly what I mean when I say podpress. But for those who don’t, podpress allows us to put a much better cleaner flash player for all our episodes on their own page, and we can now have full functionality as far as podcasting directly from the site.
Okay, so I think that’s about it for the upgrades. If you have any comments/feedback about the new site, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know! We would love to hear from you!
Take care, and as always I remain, obediently yours.
Steve “Snowball” Saylor
-Host/Producer/Webmaster for This Week in Geek